On behalf of the Board of Education and all of us in West Hempstead,
welcome to our community and school district. West Hempstead is
approximately 2.3 square miles in size and diverse in its demographic
makeup. Our community is a welcoming one that endeavors each day to do
the best it can for its children. The district serves approximately
2,250 students in five schools:
* Chestnut Street School - Kindergarten Center
* George Washington School - Grades 4-6
* Cornwell Avenue School - Grades 1-3
* West Hempstead Middle School - Grades 7-8
* West Hempstead High School - Grades 9-12
West Hempstead's schools offer a well-rounded curriculum K through 12
based upon national, state and local standards. In recent years, the
school district has worked collaboratively with its stakeholders to
discuss common challenges and goals.
The Board of Education is comprised of seven public-spirited and
civically-minded residents who serve without compensation and with the
best interests of the children and community of West Hempstead in mind.
These Board members serve three-year terms upon election and are:
* Mrs. Karen Brohm, President
* Mrs. Andrea Shinsato, Vice President
* Mr. Vincent Trocchia, Trustee
* Mrs. Patricia Greaves, Trustee
* Mr. Joseph Magaraci, Trustee
* Mr. Tony Katrakazis, Trustee
* Mr. Gavi Hoffman, Trustee
The Board of Education generally meets on the third Tuesday of each
month. Please see this website for times and location. All are welcome
and public input is encouraged.
Perhaps our mission statement describes the commitment of the community to its children best:
"The West Hempstead Union Free School District recognizes the unique
value of each student. It is dedicated to the success of each student
based on the highest standards of excellence in education. Each student
will be challenged to achieve mastery in all subject areas in an
educational atmosphere that strives to build positive self-esteem,
mutual respect for others, and a life-long quest for learning."
Once again, welcome to West Hempstead!!
Superintendent of Schools